Monthly Archives: May 2004

M*A*S*H Monday

This is a little test to see if Markdown is working properly. In the past I’ve also used Textile to format entries, but I think Markdown has some advantages specifically because of its simplicity.

Update: Discovered the plugin wasn’t working properly because MacOS X was hiding the .pl extension. Removing it has everything working again. I’m going to have to try out some of the other syntax now.

Markdown Test

This is a little test to see if Markdown is working properly. In the past I’ve also used Textile to format entries, but I think Markdown has some advantages specifically because of its simplicity.

Update: Discovered the plugin wasn’t working properly because MacOS X was hiding the .pl extension. Removing it has everything working again. I’m going to have to try out some of the other syntax now.

Blog Software Dilemma

I’ve been debating weblog software backends for a couple months now and Axodys has been sorely neglected because of this. Originally I decided on Blosxom because I liked its simplicity and lack of database requirements. I set up a local installation on my PowerBook using the handy native MacOS X installer and started to work on cleaning up my old entries. My plan was to prepare some kind of remote installation when I had everything spruced up and working properly. Unfortunately, somewhere in the last couple months I got waylaid in pursuit of my original objective and my plans were derailed.

Part of my quandry lies in the fact that Blosxom 2.0 isn’t the only way to do things. PyBlosxom 1.0 just came out a few days ago and has the advantage of being completely Python based. On the one hand it doesn’t offer as many plugins as the Perl based 2.0 version, but on the other I’m much more comfortable writing a plugin in Python if I should ever feel the need. Further clouding the issue is the pending arrival of Blosxom 3.0 which while currently in alpha state is relatively functional, but not particularly documented.

As it stands now I think I’m going to finish getting things working locally with Blosxom 2.0 and just get back to blogging regularly again. I think PyBlosxom is still a possibility, but I’m going to put that on hold until all my entries are fully imported into the Blosxom text file paradigm.