Monthly Archives: January 2006

Playing With DSL

DSL (or Damn Small Linux) is a nifty minimalist Linux distribution crammed into a 50 MB iso. It’s designed to run on Pentium 200 era machines and up and Mary’s old Compaq fits that bill so I was intrigued by the idea of removing Windows 98 and putting that on it. DSL is built on top of the Debian packaging system so it’s definitely possible to install a lot more than the base system if you desire too.

I decided to give DSL a try on my computer first this afternoon before trying anything with the Compaq, but ran into a blank black screen problem during the startup sequence once XWindows tried to launch. I just about gave up on getting it working on my computer, but then while poking around on a DSL support forum found a reference to NVidia related XWindows issues and used that info to get things booted up properly.

I haven’t had a chance to really play with things yet, but I expect to have some time this week to explore the system further. I may even give it a go on at work if I can find an old PC to try it with. I’ll try to write up some further impressions later this week.

New Years Upgrade

I decided to take some time today and upgrade my weblog software to WordPress 2.0 now that it’s been out officially for a few days. The upgrade seems to have gone smoothly for the most part, but I still need to iron out some plugin and theme issues.

For now I’m going to run things using the default theme until I get my bearings and determine where I want to go from here. I was getting pretty tired of the old look and I’m not sure whether I want to continue tagging my posts any more or not. I’m going to have to go see what kinds of 2.0 themes are out there and see if there’s anything that I want to use as a basis for the next Axodys revision.

On the individual post formatting front I’m also leaning towards standardizing on markdown rather than textile, but I will need to do some further investigatiion on the relevant post pluginformatting issues that WordPress 2.0 may have introduced. It looks like the Text Control plugin will allow me to switch between Textile and Markdown formatting relatively painlessly, but Smarty Pants character encoding doesn’t seem to work properly at the moment. I’d investigate further, but it lets me set Textile as my default for all my old posts and specify Markdown on an individual post basis and that’s all I really need.

At any rate now that the new year is here I’m going to resolve to renew my blogging efforts and write more daily.